FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New hotel openings 2020
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:01 pm
RafKa

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
New hotel openings 2020

I just read an article (in Portuguese - haven't found anything in other languages yet) about Accor announcing Jo & Joe in Rio (Brazil).

They managed to acquire all the derelict houses in Largo do Boticario, a beautiful colonial cul-de-sac in Cosme Velho (near the tramway for the Christ Statue in Corcovado). It's a lovely, quiet corner of Rio which has been in disrepair for over 30 years. The property will feature swimming pools and a bar with capacity for 300 people. IIRC the area was initially slated for a luxury hotel project, but obviously this model seems to make more sense.

Hats off to Accor for investing in Rio when most other operators are leaving/shelving plans for expansion. I admire them for continuing with Mama Shelter despite what probably seems like dismal occupancy rates (I stayed there a week before carnival, at the height of the high season at what looked like a 10-20% occupancy).