FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:50 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I'm thinking that if this is the new normal ....that most of us will be unable to get new bonuses.

I wonder if the new way to get around it will be to cancel ALL amex cards completely, wait for targeted mailers (hopefully with no language about this or lifetime rule etc) and then apply BY PHONE and confirm the bonus.

However, I really think this may be the end of Amex for us. Except for mistakes... and when Amex swings the pendulum back to the 100k offers with 50% txfr bonuses like 10-15 years ago.
I think it's way too early to conclude "most of us will be unable to get new bonuses" - why do you draw that conclusion at this point?

I'm not sure why a telephone application would necessarily sidestep any of this.

Seems a bit rash to cancel all your Amex cards just because of this, IMHO, but to each their own. Besides suddenly canceling all your Amex cards doesn't seem like it would necessarily help for future apps, depending on the particulars and what viewpoint Amex has in the future.