FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reflections pt1: Looking at Marriott Rewards – SPG Lifetime Plat perspective
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:18 am
X-ON

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
This thread is a very interesting example of how the same facts look totally different to different people. Personally, I have found the Marriott elite experience to be a somewhat warmer, more welcoming, more inclusive experience than the SPG elite experience. Others' experiences may (and apparently do) differ. Also, others may not value these features as much or may even view them as negatives.

As to "equal" treatment of SPG and MR legacy accounts, my definition of "equal" would be to treat them both the way they were each marketed at the time. That seems like equal and fair treatment. To retroactively change the treatment of one or the other seems to me to be clearly not treating them equally. Going forward, under new, announced rules applicable to all, is a different matter.
Fair enough, however for MR legacy accounts there exists no historical precedent with respect to the definition of a valid elite year. If you in such a situation create a more lenient rule that is only applied on legacy MR accounts while a less lenient legacy rule is applied on SPG legacy accounts I would define as unfair treatment of SPG legacy accounts. If there is a need for a more lenient rule; apply it on both types of accounts.