FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:06 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flyuk
that you were genuine in your belief that it was a cheap fare as opposed to an error fare,
Conceptually and objectively, how can you prove that though? Moreover, this would be a complete reversal of proof: it is really for whoever accuses someone else of having acted with dishonest intention to bring the proof that they did. Sure, if you bought 20 of them that suggests you might have felt something was wrong, but even the op in this thread raises the question of whether it might be a mistake fare with a question mark suggesting that he/she thought that this was a very good fare but also not an inconceivable one.

Most airline consider TLV short haul and even with BA, the pricing is somewhat close to longer shorthaul as long as you buy returns (though not offering cheap one ways). To this day, you can still buy some return LHR-TLV on BA for £261 return on some OTAs without any sale being on, and for £290 on the BA website itself (and as discussed by others, a bit lower than that is not unknown, and some other prices which BA have recognised are not error fares have recently been introduced that were far lower than anything advertised in the recent past). To go back to the specific LHR-TLV fares, I mentioned current pricings of £182 on A3 and as low as £105 on some lowcost, I could also mention that earlier this year, LX offered returns to TLV in long haul J from various European origins (though not London) for £350, including flying over the peak Passover period. As others mentioned, it is also not rare for Omega and a few others to offer drastically cheaper rates on BA tickets than the BA website itself. I remember buying a LCY-DUB at £31 through them on a day when BA wanted over £100 and more modest but substantial savings are frequent.

I think that you are exactly right that BA are using that £100 to encourage people to accept the cancellation without making any noise and that may well do the trick for them. However, the notion that this was a "manifest error" simply doesn't hold water and whilst this is not my place to say, in my opinion, a case like this one cannot credibly be what the legislator had in mind when designing a protection for sellers in case of manifest error. A large screen TV which shows at £9.99 instead of £999 yes, even a plane ticket on a UK website that would be advertised at $199 whilst it would be intended at £199 arguably, but this with a price that largely replicates the lower end of existing market price ranges? I'd be extremely surprised.