Old Jun 15, 18, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland, California, USA
Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Posts: 10,528
Question Need quick advice: How risky is this routing?

Some time ago I was lucky enough to snag two LH F award tix ORD-MUC (and then on to DUB, FWIW) using SQ miles for a weekday later this month, The (admittedly First World) problem I'm facing is that due to work complications that have since come up, the earliest my wife and I can catch a connecting (revenue) UA flight from SFO to ORD that day is around noon - and to be clear, SFO-ORD and ORD-MUC are tickets booked separately through UA and SQ, so if the UA flight arrives at ORD too late I assume we're SOL.

I'd been hoping that some alternative award routings would open up since I booked the LH tix, but to no avail.

What we face, then, is arriving ORD at 6:23 pm on UA and departing 10:35 pm on LH. There are two later UA non-stops that we could try to get onto and that would get into ORD in time for a 2+ hour connection if necessary, but obviously they could encounter the same weather delays or simply not be available. For folks more experienced with UA's ORD flights and ORD weather than I am, how big a risk are we running in terms of storms or operational delays messing this up? And how likely are UA personnel in SFO to try to get us on either of those two other UA flights if our flight is delayed and we explain our situation?

I realize there are no definitive answers, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thunderroad is offline