FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:54 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Hello,
My apologies, it's another connecting flights thread, but hopefully regulars can give some advice. I am flying LHR - MIA on 22nd of December, booking is with BA but on AA metal. I am looking to fly on to Bogota the same day with AA and would look to book this through AA under a separate ticket. My flight arrives at MIA at 14.50, the flight to Bogota is scheduled to leave at 21.30, so really plenty of time to go through immigration, collect luggage, check back in again.

How likely is AA to help me out if my flight to MIA was delayed to such an extent that I'd miss my connecting flight? I realise that they have absolutely no obligation to help me out as it's my own problem to get to the flight on time given it's a separate booking, but realistically, do regulars think that AA might help to get me booked on another flight if the worst happened?

Also, just to make sure, I cannot link the tickets in any way, correct?

Thanks very much for any advice folks can give!
We have merged your query into the existing thread to reduce information fragmentation and make it easier for members searching for information to find it. The FlyerTalk norm is to search prior to starting a new thread; the best guide to searching is Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread.

As you can see from this thread, there is no linking of PNRs, but there is a way that might prevent AA from cancelling the remainder of your AA flights if you no-show: FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread).

And AA will generally accommodate you on the next flight with availability under such circumstances. That might ot might not be the next flight.

And regardless, if you have checked baggage, you will have to recover it and recheck it for the other flight; your best hope is the customs baggage recheck will process your baggage; your ongoing boarding pass may help. You will not be able to make use of the “ITI” function at MIA to through-check your baggage.