FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:58 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Hello,
My apologies, it's another connecting flights thread, but hopefully regulars can give some advice. I am flying LHR - MIA on 22nd of December, booking is with BA but on AA metal. I am looking to fly on to Bogota the same day with AA and would look to book this through AA under a separate ticket. My flight arrives at MIA at 14.50, the flight to Bogota is scheduled to leave at 21.30, so really plenty of time to go through immigration, collect luggage, check back in again.

How likely is AA to help me out if my flight to MIA was delayed to such an extent that I'd miss my connecting flight? I realise that they have absolutely no obligation to help me out as it's my own problem to get to the flight on time given it's a separate booking, but realistically, do regulars think that AA might help to get me booked on another flight if the worst happened?

Also, just to make sure, I cannot link the tickets in any way, correct?

Thanks very much for any advice folks can give!
AA will still protect you on separate tickets. I've flown on separate tickets like this a lot over the years, and had several instances of misconnects and other irrops, and in all cases the AA agents are generally very helpful in getting you to your final destination.

If you were to be severely delayed in getting to MIA, I would head over to T3 at LHR and work with the AA ground staff there in trying to rebook your MIA-BOG flight. You could also call AA, although YMMV whether a basic AA phone agent will be any help in a situation like this.

But with almost a 7 hr connection, the chances are extremely slim that any delay on your BA flight would be substantial enough to affect your AA connection.