FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renting Car in Japan
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:35 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by ginmqi
We are staying in Osaka and Tokyo for about 1 week each. We are thinking of doing a mid-stop to hike Fuji, and were planning to rent a 1-way car from Osaka to Tokyo with a stop at Mt Fuji so we can hike to the top - question is....is there parking at those Fuji base stations? We're looking to do rental car since are are trying to get a very early start to try to do a sunrise...and it will be more convenient if we can drive ourselves from Osaka to Fuji.
If it were me, I'd rent the car somewhere near Mt.Fuji along/near the bullet train route from Osaka to Tokyo. Like Mishima or Gotenba. That way, you can avoid city driving (esp if you're renting from Gotenba). The bullet train kodama stops at Mishima. Regardless of where you rent, make sure you rent from a place that's right near the JR train station so that you get off the train and it's an easy walk to it. Driving in Osaka and Tokyo would be really difficult and intimidating for me personally, even though I read Japanese. On the other hand, I think it would be nice to have a car to tour around the Fuji area. I don't remember the parking situation at Mt.Fuji too well, except I know that there is a fair amount of parking available at the 5th station.