FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU261 delay
Thread: EU261 delay
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:38 pm
hkgg

EU261 delay

So we were on the inaugural from GOA to ATH with a connection in 40 minutes (arriving at 21:00, next flight at 21:40) on the same day. But the flight from GOA was delayed. The pilot said, in one sentence within one announcement, after boarding has been completed, that because the flight started boarding late, we have missed our take off slot (even though there was only one other flight departing within the next hour), and, that there appears to be a thunderstorm en route and so, we would be delayed by roughly 30 minutes.

We took off 30 minutes after the STD. During the flight itself, there was no turbulence and the pilot also said explicitly that the route had great weather and would be a smooth journey. Thus, I am not sure whether it was indeed weather that delayed our departure at GOA. We made it to ATH at around 21:30 and so could not make the next flight at 21:40. An A3 representative was at the gate and was very friendly and gave us our boarding passes for the first flight the next day.

A3 was proactive in providing us overnight accommodation and putting us on the next flight, but I want to ask if EU261 applies here with regards to delay compensation. We would be arriving 12 hours after STA because of a missed connection. It seems that whether EU261 applies or not depends on the cause for the delay of the first flight from GOA, and I am unsure whether this would be considered extraordinary circumstances or not, since it does not seem that weather was an issue?

Any help/thoughts appreciated.