FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What would happen to M&B when StarAlliance introduce a third level above Gold
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalker688786
Suspended

What would happen to M&B when StarAlliance introduce a third level above Gold

The news from recent IATA meeting is that Star Alliance is considering of introduce a third elite level above current Star Gold. Might be Star Platinum or Star Diamond according to reports.

I can see this work with bigger airlines like SQ, LH and UA. Some of the major airline already have at least 3 elite levels like UA and CA etc.

But I don't see a third level would work with smaller airline like A3. I can see few potential arguments:
1, All Gold benefits are already top for airline like A3, it could not possibly provide more;
2, It would take a lot of loyalty for any A3 members to aim for a third elite level.

I mean, if A3 is to follow the rumoured Star Alliance change and introduce a 'platinum' tier. It would bear the costs of implementation and pay for higher cost lounges. While the current balance of Gold/Silver in terms of requalification would be broke. It is also difficult for A3 to decide how many miles/segments for current Gold to qualify for new 'platinum'.

What is your take on this issue? Will you go for the Platinum if it is introduced? or you think airline like A3 should be exempted from the alliance wide introduction of Star Platinum?