FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An upgrade question
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:42 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jacques Ferreira
... but I’m being quoted £1196 for an upgrade to Club Europe. This seems a little steep for such a short flight.
Originally Posted by Jacques Ferreira
I know it’s a very short flight, but I thought I would treat the wife and kids to the lounge at Gatwick and again at Bordeaux.
Fares and similar fees and charges are only meaningful if they are quoted in per person terms. When you said £1,196, I suspect that most of us assumed that this was for one person, as that is the only meaningful way we can assess whether the number is comparable to other offers, or whether it's good value.

I now have a suspicion that you mean £1,196 in total for all of you together. But still it makes a difference whether "wife and kids" means that it's £1,196 for four people or £1,196 for eight people (if, for example, there are six children).

If the upgrade price is for both flights (seeing as it sounds like you were expecting to get lounge access before both of them for that price), that also makes a difference. £1,196 for four people one-way is basically £300 each. £1,196 for eight people round-trip works out to about £75 per person per flight. Big difference.