FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First in First - Impressions
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:11 am
Danusa86

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
My First in First - Impressions

I'm a novice on here compared to many of you, however I thought I'd share my impressions on my first ever flight in BA First Class, from which I just stepped off (I'm writing from the BA Arrivals lounge).

I flew yesterday's BA28 from Hong Kong to Heathrow. Unfortunately, no space was available on BA32 and it's a pity as, from reading you, it seems like the experience on the A380 is far superior to the one on the 777. Anyway, let's start.

About myself, I fly around 100 times every year, mostly in economy but occasionally also in business class, especially on flights longer than 9 hours. I'm currently an elite level passenger for all 3 major alliances and I've experienced J on the following airlines before: Alitalia, British Airways, EVA Air, Saudia, Qatar and, only on short haul flights, Delta, Air France and KLM. I'd never flown 1st class before today though, on any airline.

The experience on the ground in HKG was of course superb, the lounges (The Pier, in particular) were top-class (but I also very much enjoyed the cabana at The Wing), although I was particularly disappointed by the fact that an airport of such importance and size does not offer a fast track lane at security nor immigration for its premium customers.

I found on the seat on the 777 very comfortable and spacious. I was sitting in 3K by the window. Loved every aspect of it however, if I need to make some effort and criticize something I'd say it lacked a bit in privacy and storage (apart from the wardrobe where you could hang your jacket, there wasn't really any more space to put your mobile phone, wallet etc.). I also found the console used to control lights and the seat not that easy to understand at first, overall though I'd give the seat a solid 8/10.

Bedding was quite good. Unfortunately I couldn't get much sleep as I found the plane quite noisy. Turbolence also didn't help. 8/10

Service on board was professional from start to finish. I often read critics on this board about the attitude of the crew. I must say I have not experienced this. I've always felt very welcome and pampered by Trevor, the cabin chief and the other flight attendants. I'd give them a 10/10.

Food was good. All choices were available (albeit the cabin wasn't exactly full). I loved the salmon with caviar as appetizer, as well as the prawn salad as main. The choice of wines was somewhat limited though, but again I'm used to QR so ... 7/10. I must say I had to make an effort to eat everything, after being very well fed in the HKG lounges.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the experience on board however, if I need to make a final remark, I find BA's 1st class to be only marginally better than QR's business class. It is however miles better than Club World. I'd definitely fly again in BA F however, considering the price tag, I still feel QR's J is a better value and I'd pick that were I to fly to a destination served by both airlines. Unfortunately, having never flown in other Fs before, I can't really compare BA's to the same class of service on other airlines.

A final note on the arrivals lounge. Good service, love the concorde breakfast room. Hard to schedule an appointment for a massage though even at 7 AM (first slot at 11.30 AM). I liked the cabana, relaxing even though not at the same level of the one in Cathay's lounge.

If interested, I can post pictures of the food served on board.

Thanks for your attention.