FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barbados - new taxes & impact on travel
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 pm
Vaclav

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Barbados - new taxes & impact on travel

Just found this:

Barbados PM announces new tax measures

Prime Minister Mottley said that there would also be increases in departure taxes to offset the collective marketing and product development of the tourism sector estimated at an average BDS$96 million, annually.
“Accordingly, my government has decided from October 1st, 2018 to introduce an Airline Travel and Tourism Development fee. This fee will be paid by passengers flying outside of CARICOM will be US$70.00 and for those within CARICOM US$35.00. This fee will be in addition to the Departure Tax.”
In addition, the government is also introducing new VAT fees for hotel accommodation in keeping with the cost of maintaining the infrastructure.

“Currently our hotels charge VAT for accommodation at a rate of 7.5%. It is my government's view that the fair sharing of the burden of adjustment requires a review of this rate to 15 per cent. We however accept that to introduce this without a sufficient lead period will cause harm to our hotel sector,” she said, adding that any such rate adjustment should be applicable from January 1, 2020.

This looks like a terrible blow to the travel budget of many. I love Barbados and visited many, many times. Last visit was a month ago, dealing with lots of seaweed on the South Coast beaches. Also learned about many problems that currently plague that beloved island: infrastructure (sewage disposal) in disrepair, huge country debt etc. This is not the news I am happy to read.

With the addition of the above listed taxes, I am not sure whether I will return there in the fall.

Anybody else has any thoughts on that?