FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice: Award booking change means >24 connection
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:09 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need advice: Award booking change means >24 connection

I was doubly lucky to first book a SFO-JFK-AUH trip several months ago for late October trip using my AA miles and then have AA/EY automatically change my JFK-AUH EY flight from the afternoon to the evening after EY recently canceled its afternoon flights for JFK-AUH (starting Oct. 1, I believe). But this has created a slight complication, in that I now have a >24 hour layover in JFK between my early morning AA SFO-JFK flight and my evening EY JFK-AUH flight the following day

I'd like to hold onto that AA flight, partly because I'd welcome the afternoon JFK arrival and long layover, and partly because it's in F and no other F (or J or even Y) award flights are showing as available for SFO-JFK that day (or the following day, for that matter). I'm reluctant to simply leave it all as it is without calling AA, for fear that AA system will at some point invalidate the itinerary due to the >24 connection.

So...anyone have prior experience with a situation like this? Any chance AA will simply let me keep it as is if I call about it? Or, as a second choice, any chance AA will open up another F award seat for later that day but late enough to make the connection <24? Or, finally, should I simply not contact AA about this at all and assume it will all go without a hitch?

Thanks for any advice.