FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:29 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
If Marriott implemented it surmising correctly that the points would rarely post, it's still a scam. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it certainly wouldn't take much understanding of the system to foresee this result.
I don't see it as a corporate scam, but more of a local implementation issue and with the properties sharing tips and tricks it's filtered around quickly. I also have mixed feelings about the program as well. Yes, the concept of "saving the environment" is noble, but looking at the downstream (no pun intended) effect is important too. I've seen several properties that contract out their housekeeping service so there's no employee cost savings. And I've chatted with a few housekeepers and learned they are paid (either by the property or their employer) on a piecemeal rate, so declining service directly cuts their pay which isn't anywhere near a living wage, and some move from one property to another maybe working three or four properties a day. I'll gladly give up 250/500 points to help. Most times, if I'm in the room when they come, I will hand over the dirty towels in exchange for clean and tell them to check my room off as being done.

In summary, it's a corporate program without much concern for local implementation.