FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Handling a misconnect/ last flight of the season
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:51 pm
flying_pig

Unless there is a cancellation of your IAD-LHR service or some really major disruption (several hours before departure time), you'll never be proactively rebooked on the LH flight (different airline, different alliance and different airport...).

If a regular delay caused you to misconnect, given the circumstances (no other BA flight and a bit of a complicated situation) I suspect that the situation would have to be sorted at LHR. Besides the LHR options, I have a feeling BA might try to rebook you on Vueling from LGW via BCN, which gets to JTR at 1am. But if you are to get to LGW, then the EasyJet or Norwegian direct flights would be far better and in this instance my first choice rather than a connection. I have no idea if BA would rebook on a low cost carrier; I am sure some of the experts here will be able to advise.

Options from LHR seem worse, as you pointed out: the LH connections via MUC or FRA would get you to JTR at 2:05am the next day, and OS via VIE is far too close the BA departure time (so if you miss the BA one due to a delay, it likely means OS is a no-go too). Not sure about Aegean.

I wouldn't get obsessed with the "same class of service" argument... An extra day in Santorini is certainly worth enduring intra-Europe economy for a little more than 3 hours. And, of course, in all likelihood you'll be absolutely fine.