FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:05 pm
bmr12

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

I don't know about anybody else, but this whole "decline housekeeping" for 250 or 500 points per night has become a scam in my mind. My experiences this year have mostly been as follows: I dutifully follow the process to decline housekeeping, either through a hang tag or on the app when I check-in. Later, I check out and wait for my points to post. The stay posts, but the housekeeping points seldom post. Then I have to call the Rewards number to get them posted.

Earlier in the year, I called and they just posted them on the spot. Lately, they have to call the hotel and put me on hold while they check. Sometimes, they tell me that they will post them imminently and others tell me "the hotel will post them next week". Of course, next week comes and goes and the points have not posted. Given that the first call took over 30 minutes to complete between the lengthy hold and then the slow process with the agent, I gave up and emailed Marriott instead. Again, no response and no points.

The number of points is small, so it feels like the real goal here to "save properties money on the rewards program" is to save on the cost of housekeeping and then stiff the members who were chumped into thinking they'd get some points out of the deal. The only losers here are the guests and housekeepers.

Any other advice on how to actually get my measly 750 points posted?