FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:30 pm
KenTarmac

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swingaling
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Trust me, it's not enjoyable. I have ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. It is in no way enjoyable whatsoever.
Who says anyone enjoyed it? This should be reported, as it's a safety issue. Alcohol impairs judgment and slows reflexes. We need to know that FAs can be counted on to perform their duties in the event of an emergency. It would be pretty difficult for a drunk/buzzed FA to perform his job functions properly in an emergency situation. I hope the FA seeks the appropriate counseling/treatment for his drinking problem.

What's your solution? Be a "bro" and ignore it?
So does lack of sleep, working with a cold, personal issues on the mind while at work, upset stomach, headache, menstrual cramps, etc. There are a myriad of factors that can impair a FA's ability to perform his/her job in an emergency situation. That's why there is usually more than one attendant on a flight. DeepUnderground, Don't make yourself judge, jury and executioner. That's not your job. Contrary to your statement, I believe you do take a perverse pleasure in ending careers as you've stated that you've " ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. " I can't speak to the other occasions as you haven't elaborated upon them but there is an apparent pattern of seeking out the opportunity where ever it may present itself, be it warranted or not.

If there were a true emergency on my flight I'd be more concerned about the capabilities of the pilot(s) or the ability of the drunk sitting in the exit row to open the emergency exit, or the old lady that was wheel-chaired onto the flight sitting in the isle seat who's going to impede my immediate exit than the FA who might be buzzed.

Swingaling, Your expectation of what FA's are capable of in an emergency and reality are far removed from each other. I've heard "Is there a doctor, nurse, EMT or other medical personnel on board?" more times than I can count. Those are the true emergency situations that are far more likely to be encountered and no, FA's are not equipped to handle them beyond basic first aid - sober or not.