FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:19 pm
Bretmd

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have a ton of sympathy for arbitrageurs, even though I try to be one sometimes (I've bought US/AS/AV miles, I've acquired UA/AA/DL miles when they get very very cheap, as happens sometimes). If you're trying to "play the game", recognize airlines really don't exist for the purpose of giving you Krug and lie-flats for pennies on the dollar.

The MVPs or non-ellites who don't fly AS enough to get fee waivers are the ones who get jobbed here, but even then, it's a pretty narrow group of folks who fly some, redeem on CX, don't live in a CX hub, and have to wait and see the CX inventory get snatched out by everyone who wants CX for (relatively) cheap because they need connecting flights for > 24 hours after they book the ticket. AA's award ticket holds and more flexible rules on changes help here.
Consider me part of this group - I’m an MVP living in SEA who just booked a CX award - TPE-HKG in J (stopover)-LAX in F. I’m unable to book a connection back to SEA because my dates are in high demand due to its proximity to Easter next year. Waiting one day to book would have made no difference here. Although - in years past I would have been able to secure at least saver coach space on this segment which hasn’t Become available yet this year.

While I’m willing to pay for that segment if needed, the lesser AS saver availability in combination with the devaluation of the SPG Amex is causing me to move my spending to UR and MR, and has me considering ending working for MVP at all in lieu of being a free agent. There have been lots of small Alaska devaluations this year. Plus - the lack of Europe redemptions is a big consideration.

In any case - I recognize I may be a special case in the system and will enjoy what may be my last time in Cathay F in awhile.