FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Limited reintroduction of amuse bouche / champagne updates for FCL
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:53 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
My first reaction to the Krug 2004 was very cynical. Compared to 2002 - a legendary vintage, and one I'm certain won't appear on CX - my main Champagne seller has unlimited quantities of 2004 to push, and has pushed it hard. I also see it all over wine shops in town. Further, there would be virtually zero marginal marketing value to offering the (superb) 2002 vs the heavily-marketed but pretty "normal" 2004, because the bloggers and folks posting Youtube videos are clueless to the distinction. I imagine the 2004 was scored at a great deal. But then, I settle back on I shouldn't be so cynical because it's definitely a nice improvement and a lovely contrast to the NV. I have to catch myself.

I do just wish they'd stop this "trial" nonsense and roll out a major improvement to F&B. Their competitors are clocking them.

To continue my first paragraph's cynicism, I'm so skeptical of CX F&B these days. When I saw this (informative) thread, my first instinct was "okay, well what's the offsetting cuts?" Years ago, I wouldn't have thought this.

Agree with other posters here and elsewhere that CX F is still a great comfy way to get from A to B. But without a doubt in my mind the soft product (F&B, and now service) has cratered in the last 5+ years, accelerating drastically in the last 2. Staff seem really disgruntled accounting for the last 2 years of worse service (mostly due to weird / off / indifferent service, and willingness to chat in galleys. The US-based crews are grossly to blame for the least-professional flights I've had) and it's a shame.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jun 6, 2018 at 2:38 am Reason: mixed up my vintages