FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Too old to travel?
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:00 pm
Athena53

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I agree that it's a function of health more than age. Dad is 87 and prefers car travel because he's on a medication that means he urinates more frequently than normal. Not good if the plane is sitting on the runway for 2 hours or there's a line to use the lav. My 80-year old DBIL didn't make it to DH's funeral because DBIL couldn't walk very far without stopping to catch his breath (emphysema) and, having traveled very little, probably would have been totally confused when making a connecting flight (nonstops not available). DH and I took our last trip together when he was 77- it was Iceland and we loved it, although I'd already gotten used to a slower pace and having a hotel room with space for DH to spread out and relax at the end of the day while I went out and explored a little more. We also started flying only Business Class on long-hauls a few years before that and planned the trip with fewer stops- maybe two hotels in a week and a half. What I loved about him was that he was up for whatever he could enjoy within his current limitations. I did an excursion into a volcano that was way too strenuous for him and he happily enjoyed my pictures and stories when I returned. I should also mention that it helps to have a younger, healthier traveling companion. I can honestly say he could not have made most of the trips we did in the last few years without me.

I'm 65 and hope I have many years of interesting travel ahead of me; was just on a group tour of India and Nepal with my 70-year old Aunt and we had a blast. (She and the doctor in the group were the ones who tracked down the guide for help when I had a bad case of dehydration; she had a good laugh when I told her I'd figured it would be good fro me to be on the trip to care for my elderly Auntie and the reverse happened.)

Last edited by Athena53; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:05 pm