FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does the Accor earning and spending structure means it is annually devalued?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:24 am
Woodbinerich

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by 1flyer
You're right, Accor points are indexed to the euro so there's no inflation protection. As the euro loses value, so do your Accor points.

Anyways, two quick points on this:

1.) Euro-area inflation rates have been VERY low for quite some time. Currently, the inflation rate is at 1.9 percent on an annualized basis, and that's the highest rate we've seen in years. (It's most likely also a temporary high that's mostly due to the current spike in oil prices.)

Roughly speaking, you can assume that inflation deteriorates your points value by around 1.5 percent p.a. That's not much. Again, my understanding is the points value is tied to the euro. Therefore, if you're mostly redeeming for hotels that use other currencies, you're bearing some exchange-rate risk as well.

2.) Other programs most certainly change the terms of redemptions to adjust for inflation. But they do it at discrete intervals which are extremely hard to anticipate. In fact, as a customer, Accor's structure might be preferable. It's easier to predict. With other programs, you might be hit by, say, a 10 or 15 percent devaluation every few years which might come as a total surprise to you.
Thank you. Helpful. I’d just been pondering on it a little to see if anyone else realised!

Of course the fact there is inflation erosion doesn’t protect you against Accor changing the rates , but we’ll assume they are happy with redemption rates and don’t feel the need for now at least given the gentle ongoing process.

I was actually more thinking / hoping (!) the other way. As I mentioned I can’t recall when the earnings rate was set (I’ve been a member around five years and I think it’s always been the same), but there’s no doubt €40 doesn’t buy you as much hotel room as it used to. And I suppose if you don’t like it there are other options with conversion to airline schemes etc that are not cash equivalent redemptions.

It’s also got me thinking that having a big pile of Accor points, if you plan on redeeming in properties outside the eurozone, also exposes you to FX.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Jun 3, 2018 at 8:27 am Reason: Typo