FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Car or other options Italy
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:46 pm
Jonesdds

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Rental Car or other options Italy

Going to be in Rome this summer, not planning to rent there except when leaving. The trip is Rome 4 nights, then to Positano 4 nights, then Bologna 4 nights then to London. From our research it seems train only makes sense to Naples then a car service or other. Looking at Rome to Positano by car service, Blacklane or a service that comes up on the train website seems to make more sense for the $100-200 extra to escape the hassles of a combined train and car service itinerary, we will have 3 large bags and other luggage for the three of us as it's a pretty long trip.

I've started looking at renting a car instead, at end of Rome segment all the way until end of Bologna so about 11 days. I won't have need in Positano for a car(I think-but maybe wrong) but I've been told by our air bnb owner that there is easy parking close by the place we are staying. She didn't mention the cost, however, and we are looking into that. It does seem that a train to Positano doesn't exist so it's a car service from Naples, a bus for a portion of it or from Naples(not going to happen), a boat from Sorrento(I think that's the most likely spot) or having a car.

I've been to Rome and other areas of Italy many times but I've never been to Positano. I've never had reason to rent a car in italy but have many times in other areas of Europe. I'm expecting the car to sit in Positano, but maybe side trips would be in order using the car. Bologna would be nice to have a car, though, as we plan a few days or day trips for sure there.

My plan was a car service Rome to Positano(or train to Naples then car service to Positano) and then a car service to Naples at end of Positano stay followed by a train Naples to Bologna or rent the car then to Bologna and keep to the end of Bologna trip. Looking at the pricing for all this it sure makes sense to rent a car, I think, looking purely at price but I'd like to hear your opinion.

If I do rent in Rome I'd prefer to pickup in a location that makes it easy to get out of the city, doesn't seem like a place I'd like to spend much time in. I looked at renting in Ciampino Airport, maybe the main train station, I'd be open to suggestions. FCO is so far away from the city I'm thinking that doesn't make sense but maybe I'm wrong. In Paris, I rented in Orly as that seemed to be close enough to the city center to make sense yet far enough to escape driving around the city itself.

Also, I've got a valid CA driver's license but reading online about needing to get an international driver's license. All the renting I've done in Europe was a number of years ago, my more recent trips have been all cabs/uber etc. I never worried about this before but should I now and/or is a requirement? I've also got a few credit cards with primary insurance coverage but I'm thinking Italy might be one of the countries it doesn't apply...

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Jonesdds; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:54 pm