FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best and Fast VPN for China ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:06 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
As much as I dislike coming across as a messenger boy for Express, I must admit that those guys are ahead of the game. I can get better connections with Shadowsocks, but the costs are substantial.
My personal Shadowsocks server just got IP banned by the GFW. .......s. ICMP works, all other ports seem blocked, even SSH. Seems to be the same issue people are reporting here: https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-libev/issues/1719

I'm not sure if they have the ability to detect Shadowsocks, or if it was just data volume counting (I pushed about 10 GB worth of videos from Disney through my SS server a few days ago). I have 2 other VPNs (4 if you count foreign SIM cards), but I'm pissed. SS is by far the best protocol as ShadowsocksX-NG on Mac OS allows you to only funnel traffic to blocked sites through the tunnel so it doesn't slow everything down. And since it's an actual machine in my living room and not a VPS, I cannot just change IPs. I tried switching ports but that didn't work. Obviously I know the machine is up because if I VPN out first, I can then use Shadowsocks (and HTTP/HTTPS/SSH too).

How long do these IP bans tend to last? I'm guessing that it was done by some automated scripts that aggregate data volume between endpoints and look at the source and destination of that traffic. Maybe I can try switching Shadowsocks to Port 7 but I'm not sure if that'll work. It's fairly easy to filter by ICMP so unless there's a Shadowsocks-over-ICMP plugin, that will probably be blocked too.