FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I hate business travelers.
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2018, 11:38 am
catsfroggy1
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by tbuccelli
Someone else had linked to a post where you indicated you had never traveled alone before, so maybe you are just not aware how business travel generally works. As a traveling person, as long as costs are comparable, you get to choose where to spend the money and are later reimbursed, or may even put it on a corporate card that is paid directly. The companies MAY have favorable rates with a hotel / airline group, but generally they are with more than one - ie, companies will have agreements with AA, UA and DL, or Marriott, Starwood and Hilton. The programs are put in place to attract the spending of the person who controls the DIRECTION of the spend. I know Starwood called this out explicitly (SPG Pro), but I would guess others had something similar.

YOU may not agree with the way the programs are set up, as is indicated by all your comments about only the person who pays should get the benefits, but that is the way it is. The various vendors do not care WHO is paying, just that they are on the receiving end of the spend. So, they DO "care" (in as much as they care that I direct spending their way) about me as a customer. That is why they really don't, and shouldn't, "care" more about you spending your "own hard earned paycheck", they just "care" about the person who provides the the MOST revenue, so the more revenue you provide, the more they "care" about you. THEREFORE, as the person directing the spend, and the person receiving the rights to access certain benefits, and the right to point out when those benefits are not being provided.

These statuses are mere perks of the job, and the way the system is set up - no matter how you wish it may be. This is no different that someone who works at a golf course getting free rounds of golf or someone working retail getting a discount in the store.

I would say that most seasoned (older) business travelers that I have met do NOT play the DYKWIA card - they know the rules on how the system works and just want to get from point A to point B. The person who plays that card would do that no matter the situation, not just because they are are business traveler.

Also, as for being moderated and not being respectful, you should look at your own posts where you keep referring to the person as a mooch, etc.
When I was younger and traveled a lot I was upgraded to suites at hotels all the time. Got lounge access. Really don't care one bit when I am by myself to be in a suite or any of the other benefits. Seems pretty pointless to get lounge access at a hotel when you have a corporate card where you can charge all the drinks and food on it. Plus never in the hotel very long except to sleep. The perks are overrated.