FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017-2018)
Old May 30, 2018, 7:37 pm
dealhunter32

Originally Posted by redtop43
Probably the best place to buy your GC's is a Simon Mall. There are quite a few in/near Boston, although you should check whether they sell gift cards. (Almost, but not 100%, of Simon Malls do.) They will sell $10K a day, the fees are reasonable ($3.95 per card, max $500), and they won't view your activity as "suspicious." You'll have to fill out a form and show your ID. You can only do $10K/day, it's against the rules to go to multiple sites on the same day to get more than $10K.

If you have a WM that will take them for MO's, I'd suggest doing that. Cash in the bank is way more secure than cards in a vault. However, if you do plan to keep the cards, make a log of the numbers and change the PIN's. However, I've processed well over $1 million in GC's and the only time I ever had a problem was when a friend I don't totally trust was in close proximity to the cards. (Cost me $500. I learned and am more careful.) Again, a bank will generally not consider depositing MO's as suspicious. Many banks will close your account if the MO activity is too high over too long a time, but the two accounts I've had closed were after way more than $50K. Of course, if you don't want to pay the MO fee (0.18%) you can keep the cards, but it'll be quite annoying to deal with 100 cards that have unknown amounts of money on them.
One tidbit with the Simon Malls are that some only let you have one attempt at paying for the cards, so if your credit card is declined, they might not let you use that card again or possibly not even let you try a different card. This is why "seasoning" cards is important (don't try spending $9,575.05 out of the blue).

I had heard some cards (Citi?) coding Simon Malls as cash advances -- is this still true?