FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old May 29, 2018, 7:48 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by JackE
The basis of my statement is centuries of American contract law. That and no statement by Marriott to the contrary. If you have such statement, please post, thank you.
We do not know the new contract yet. It has not been published. Under the existing contract, which is mentioned and incorporated in every confirmation, with a link, in the Rewarding Events section it states:
All other Rewards Program Rules apply.
The Rewards Program Rules/contract states:
The Company and its travel partners have the right to change, limit, modify or cancel the Rewards Program Rules, Rewards and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of Points or Miles, or the ability to obtain certain Rewards. The Company and its travel partners may, among other things: a) increase or decrease the number of Points or Miles received for a stay...
So under the present contract, Marriott can change the terms without notice at any time, including the points received for a stay or, obviously, a meeting. This would mean under contract law as I was taught in law school there is no contract provision requiring Marriott to honor ten points per meeting for future meetings, nor is there any contract law that ignores the written contract, which in this case allows Marriott to make this change.

Did your law school teach a different contract law? I was taught the written contract governs.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 29, 2018 at 7:54 pm