FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Live disruption: AMS flights tonight - realistic to depart?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:27 pm
flatlander

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's not looking good for most of the Netherlands: https://www.buienradar.nl/nederland/...waarschuwingen

Google translation (with a bit of fixup from me):
"In the north and west of the country code orange warning is in force due to heavy thunderstorms. Rainshowers with heavy localised rain (50 mm / h) with flooding as a result. There is also a chance localised strong wind gusts of 75 km / h and hail. Elsewhere warning is in effect for thunderstorms. Even with these is a chance of heavy rain (30-50 mm / h), strong wind gusts (60-75 km / h) and hail. Over the next few hours the showers will decrease in activity."

For North Holland (the province, i.e. including Amsterdam)

"Code Orange: Thunderstorms from 29/05 20:00 to 29/05 22:00
Thunderstorms with a lot of rain (50 mm / h) and water flooding as a result.There is also a local chance of heavy gusts of 75 km / h and large hailstones of about 2 cm.

Code Yellow: Thunderstorms from 29/05 22:00 to 29/05 23:00
Chance of thunderstorms, possibly with hail, wind gusts and a lot of rain in a short time."

You wouldn't want to be out and about in that. Damage from 2cm hailstomes in 75km/h wind isn't necessarily just going buff out or be fixed with some speed tape.

My Dutch colleagues report a mad dash to get home before that. One delayed a conference call with me and reported it was "intense" cycling home with everyone else who got the same warning at the same time (via their weather apps), no quarter given on the roads.

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Interestingly you are showing a departure time of 2220 (not too bad) but an arrival of 0203, meaning they are thinking the flight will last 2’45” !
Prepare for one of those Amsterdam ground holds. I hope they've got a resilient bum and a good supply of entertainment, they may be in that Cruz-ified seat for a while!

When they get to Amsterdam, the trains may or may not be running, NS being about as weather-resistant as Schiphol.