FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lumo recognition, freebies and soft perks
Old May 28, 2018, 8:15 pm
WilcoRoger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
And going from plat to lumo is the most unequal leap. The segmenter does not even need to double his flying (+97%) while the pointer needs to add 160% more flights.
This discrepancy could be easily explained. AY wanted to have an exclusive over-the-top tier (Lumo). At the same time they wanted to keep the high-earning nature of their own J flights. Double-Plat on points would make Lumo far less exclusive, there must be relatively lot of people in the 300k-450k band. So they set the bar at triple-Plat.

At the same time, setting the segment bar at triple-Plat would mean some 220-230 segments, as good as unattainable for anyone, even on this forum. So to be able to offer something to the short-haul über-road-warriors* they set the segment requirements at double-Plat, knowing that there are few who'd qualify (they have the exact numbers) A couple of crazies** doing extra ARN/OUL runs won't rock the boat.

*road-warrior is wrong term for flying, but I couldn't come up with a new/better one.
** I say this in a loving way

PS - I think this discussion gets to be borderline lumotic, to paraphrase an old document "all Platskus are created equal"