FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - under 25 as 2nd driver
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2018, 11:39 am
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by familyoutdoors
My son and I are going on a road trip and I don't want to chauffeur him. He is 24. and has both USAA and AAA. When renting a car, do I need him to rent the car, can I rent (probably Costco) and just show his AAA card? Dates are Aug 6 (6pm) to Aug 15 (4pm) MCO round trip. The costco price when I book it is coming up $302 while booking on AAA sight $345.02. Any insight would be great.
Thanks!
I believe that in order to waive the underage fee (at least with Hertz), he would have to be the primary driver on the rental contract with the USAA/AAA discount code. He can add you as an additional authorized driver, but it may not work if you are primary and try to add him. I'm not sure how it works with other companies.

Even if it's someone other than Hertz (like Enterprise), it won't work unless you use the USAA discount code. You cannot rent on the Costco discount code and then just show our USAA/AAA card. It doesn't really work that way. Note that Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty are the only only ones that recognize the underage waiver for AAA members anyway, but you still need to use that specific CDP.