FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat recline etiquette— is there such a thing?
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
TheHorta

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Seat recline etiquette— is there such a thing?

ALERT: This is a rant / pet peeve thread.

So, at this moment I’m 5B on DL1328 SNA>ATL. We just passed 10K feet and the otherwise nice lady in front of me just abruptly went in full recline. No warning, no notice.

Now, I know this isn’t a crime against humanity, and it happens on virtually every flight I take, but I often wonder if I’m the only one who turns around and asks the passenger behind me if they’re OK with me putting my seat back. They’ve been OK with it every time, and half thank me for asking.

if You don’t take a moment and at least LOOK behind you, you don’t know if the pax is bending over looking into their carry-on, or leaning forward while sipping a beverage, or working on an oversized laptop, or whatever. It just seems like common sense and common courtesy to check these things out beforehand.

Why have I literally never been asked or even acknowledged from the paxian offender? Not once!

To add insult to injury, as it were, the “offender” is a petite elderly woman to whom I offered to stow her roller, which she accepted and was grateful. So I know she intends no harm and it probably didn’t even enter into her head, which is essentially what I’m trying to understand.

Why no thought for your fellow pax?

Last edited by TheHorta; May 26, 2018 at 5:59 pm Reason: Flight number typo