FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using your phone as a hot spot on cruises
Old May 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
bicker

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
I guess my question is "why are you spending so much time on the Internet that you need to consider the cost-effectiveness of using your phone as a hotspot vs. ship's wifi?"
Which was the question which I answered in the message to which this is a reply. Perhaps you need to refresh your screen to see the entire message to which you replied?

You won't need to if you do your research ahead of time and print it out, or make it available on a computer or tablet onboard; type out your emails while offline and only connect to wifi to send them;
It sure does seem as if you have missed a great deal of the message to which you posted a reply.
Originally Posted by bicker
First, many of them are using this first block of truly free time that they've had for months, a sea day, ...
and save the social media for your arrival.
Again, this was covered in the message to which you replied:
Second, and more commonly, many of them are talking about sharing the highlights of their vacation with friends at home, in the moment. After months of sharing their Starbucks coffee, what the appetizers look like at the local pub, and the cute family of deer encountered on a local hike, how could people not share a whale sighting, the view from the top of a glacier, and the lumberjacks climbing a spar pole?

This might be a bit generational. I know a lot of people in my generation who are very insular and judgmental, and never came to understand the new, modern sociability that the Internet fosters and that is practiced by many in the younger generations. They will never really understand why anyone would pay for Internet service aboard ship.