FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old May 25, 2018, 11:40 am
invalyd

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
Of all places I have looked in Japan, I finally scored on my favorite Japanese whisky, the Yamazaki 18, in the US this weekend for $249 a bottle! Which is actually cheaper than in Japan if you find it! Got two bottles. Supper happy!! Japan is really not a place to hunt for those highly sought after (i.e. Yamazaki 12,/18, Hakushu 12/18) bottles anymore... Hibiki 17/21 might be the only ones worth hunting if you can get it close to MSRP.
Well I can confirm this. I bought a Yamazaki 18 online yesterday for $318 shipped. Couldn't believe my eyes, I've never seen it below 40k yen + tax in all my travels to Japan. Even Dekanta increased the price from $599 to $769. I think Japan is officially one of the worst places to pick up aged statements these days. I have a trip this month and I am expecting it to be completely dry, hopefully I can at least fine a Yamazaki 2017 LE on the shelves.