FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019
Old May 24, 2018, 1:41 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Marriott has let us know that we can book level 7 Starwood properties at level 6 point redemption levels between August and December 2018. For ease of discussion, let's talk Starwood points. This means that a property that currently costs 35,000 points will cost 20,000 points during that window. Marriott equivalents are 105,000 and 60,000. I have some questions:

1. What about all suite properties such as Al Maha? Currently Starwood charges double points for all suite properties. Does this mean there is not a multiplier? That would mean that a room (suite) at Al Maha, normally 70,000, would be 20,000 during this window. I believe there are all suite properties in the Maldives and French Polynesia; perhaps in Thailand.**
  2. Will we be able to book out to the end of the booking window? This would mean by late December 2018 we can book to late November 2019.
  3. Do we need to make a fresh booking from August 1? This is my current assumption. Otherwise, I could book Las Alcobas (Helena) today for spring 2019, then call and ask for points to be returned.
  4. If a fresh booking, how fast do you think award nights will go once the booking window opens?
**PLEASE NOTE: Free Night Awards at the following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts either because the hotel does not have standard rooms or the standard rooms it offers have a mandatory Full Board requirement in peak seasons: St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, and Le Méridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, Florida; Mystique, Santorini, Greece; Pine Cliff Residences, Albuferia, Portugal; and Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Porto Cervo, Italy. The minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at The Resort at Singer Island, a Category 5 property, ranges from 24,000 to 64,000 Starpoints; the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the Pine Cliff Residences, which is a Category 6 hotel, is 40,000 to 100,000 Starpoints; and the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the other listed properties, which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center.

Here is a list of Starwood's level 7 properties. There are 51 properties. There are 10 properties that currently are special cases. Note list above. Should they remain special cases, there are still 41 properties to consider.

I definitely want to try Las Alcobas in Helena, Napa Valley. I loved St Regis Punta Mita and might want to return. Those are both easy access from where I live. I'm looking at the Gritti Palace in Venice and Cristallo in the Dolomites as part of a European trip in 2019. Where do you hope to book?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 24, 2018 at 1:52 pm