FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]
Old May 23, 2018, 11:36 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by geminidreams
During the day you dont walk through any of it. I like going to some of the bars and listening to live music there. About the only views in BKK that are even mildly interesting from my perspective were for the rive at ROS. Usually I will stay at 2 or 3 locations in a trip and of the SPG hotels I have never stayed at LMS and rarely at STR or SGS due to pricing/value for money. They all have there own pros and cons and in the end we favour those that mostly meet our particular expectations.
During the day it is not as crowded and not as much activity spilling out on the sidewalks, but you are still walking through it. Why stay where you have to run that gauntlet when there are nicer hotels offering more at the same price in better locations? If on a second or third visit someone knowingly wants to stay in the area, no problem, but I would not recommend the subpar hotel in that area for someone's first visit unless they understand the particulars.

And while we agree that most SPG and Marriott properties in BKK have meh views, the Suk 57 Marriott has spectacular views of the city. The hotel is only on the top floors of the building with floor to ceiling windows and the rooftop bar has become a tourist destination. I just met a friend's daughter who spent two years teaching in Bangkok. She and her friends would bring visitors to the Marriott for the rooftop bar's views, Her parents spoke glowingly, calling it one of the highlights of their visit. Some StR rooms have good views of Lumpini Park, but it's not like the Soi 57 property where every room has a great view.