FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Culinary Torch "Head" on Carry-on
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2018, 8:43 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
If you're talking about travel in the US and whether TSA will disallow that item, I agree with Section 107 - pack it in your checked bag, or if you're not traveling with a checked bag, buy one at your destination. Another option, if you must have a specific torch head that is unavailable at your destination, would be shipping it in advance.

The problem is this: It's shaped like a gun. It even has a trigger. The actual prohibition is against realistic replicas of weapons, and you and I can certainly recognize that your item is not a gun, and not a danger to either an aircraft or its occupants, but TSA has a track record of over-reacting when it comes to anything vaguely resembling a weapon. In four incidents I can recall discussing here on FT, TSA has disallowed women's shoes with six-shooter heels; a young woman's clutch purse with only the image of a gun on it; a bottle of perfume that vaguely (very vaguely) resembled a WWII era pineapple-shaped hand grenade; and they attempted to confiscate the lightsaber-shaped cane of actor Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca from the Star Wars triology). Yup - they actually tried to confiscate a man's cane because it was a replica of a fictional weapon that does not actually exist.

Add to that the fact that your torch actually could be made into a weapon if connected to a gas cylinder (even though such cylinders are not available inside the sterile area of an airport), and I would guess that you have a 50/50 chance of having your item disallowed.

I recommend that you play it safe and make other arrangements to get your tool to your destination.