FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2018, 3:58 am
Andi28

Programs: BAEC
DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Hi All, I thought I would share a DYKWIA (Do you know who I am) story from a MIA to LHR flight a few months ago.

I am at the boarding gate and in group 2 waiting for the call to board when a young-ish lady (mid-30's guessing) hobbles up to the desk in a walking cast/brace and cane and asks for pre-boarding and a new seat due to the cast (her words were 'a seat where i can keep my leg elevated and straight', hint, hint business class). the gate agent was very obliging and changed her seat to a bulk head and said she could pre-board.

She was NOT happy with the seat, she insisted on a better seat again due to her leg, GA said it was the best non-exit row seat, bulkhead, main cabin extra and window so no one would bump her. Again she insisted and by now the GA was getting frustrated and insisted she accept the seat and if her leg was as bad as she was claiming then maybe she shouldn't fly and she asked her if she would like to be transferred to another flight a few days later. This was met with silence, the lady walked (hobbled) away with her boarding pass to the gate to wait for pre-boarding with a scowl on her face.

Boarding was then called and off I went to my seat 12D. After the meal service when the cabin lights were dimmed I was getting settled when the lady comes forward and makes herself comfortable in the empty 12G. The cabin attendant happened to pass a few minutes later to see that a previously unoccupied seat has a sleeping beauty. The lady is promptly ejected and told to go back to her assigned seat, she hobbles away muttering about uncaring crew and don't they realize that she is injured etc.

About 2 hours later I go to get a drink from the galley and on my return who should be in 12G again, you guessed it, the sleeping beauty. I approach the CA and the lady is again asked to go back to her seat, at this stage she kicks up a fuss, she has a medical need and they should let her stay etc. This doesn't sway them and she is walked back to her seat. For the rest of the journey she stays put.

you think this is the end, well its not, I am in the immigration line when I see the lady, she is no longer hobbling, her brace is gone and her cane is now just for show. She tried to scam a business class seat.

Does anyone else have a DYKWIA story that they would like to share?

Last edited by JDiver; May 22, 2018 at 7:32 am Reason: Reformat for easier reading