FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: PHX-SIN in Y/Y or Y/PE Combo MR for $753-$1,079
Old May 21, 2018, 11:25 am
355F1

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Thank you for posting. I was not aware that there were such good Y fares to SIN in January. What did you book this on?

I can't find the all-PE CX fare that's near this.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It sounds like OP booked on AA PHX-LAX-HKG, and CX HKG-SIN, with the LAX-HKG booked in PE instead of Y.

I've seen all-PE on CX be as low as $1100-1200 at the right time, if memory serves. Right now, I know that SFO-BKK/CGK is around $1450 (although be careful with BKK because not all HKG-BKK flights have PE).

$750 for Y is ok but not great. Good if you need those few extra thousand miles to SIN/CGK for EQD or EQM purposes. But HKG or PVG can be under $500 from various west coast cities, and when booked via a special fare is, imo, one of the best ways to accumulate EQM and EQD at a good value.
Originally Posted by rbAA
Actually, $750 RT Y to SIN for AA is pretty good, as it's the LAX-HKG RT's that are usually at $500. And SWU's usually UPG immediately, though I'm always booking out a number of months and can fly midweek. Of course UA oiften has it lower ex-EWR/SFO/LAX. I always check the fare difference BKK-HKG-LAX RT vs. HKG-LAX RT to see if I can save by buying a separate ticket. Sometimes it works better as one ticket, often better as two. My Aug/Sept trip back to the US was apx $800 BKK-HKG-LAX RT, so went with that as it eliminates a potential issue with multiple tickets, plus I need to check some bags on that trip and that's the only sure way to avoid having to clear at HKG and go airside to recheck.

And, CX PE is usually around $1400+ RT. The last sale of $1100 was only JFK-HKG-JFK. Good EQD earning on those.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Agreed, $750 is pretty good for SIN on AA. My point was that if looking at it from a purely mileage running perspective, paying $750 to SIN is only ok when compared to paying $495 to HKG or $450 to PVG, unless those extra few thousand miles to SIN (or CGK, as the case may be) would mean meeting an elite threshold and saving another trip.

Originally Posted by A651346

Hi there,

For some reason i’m having difficulty pricing this out in GF. Are you able to provide link?

Thanks!

Hey guys, sorry about the delay!

I booked on AA.com and all on AA metal, found on Google Flights. I'm not sure if the fare is still available.

I had 1 SWU that wasn't going to get used before Jan 2019.

I was originally going to book all in Y on AA but they popped up with PE on the return for only $250. I can't pass that up for not only the comfort but the .5 extra EQMs. The long-flight LAX-HKG cleared my SWU into J immediately.

I didn't pay too much. I think I got a decent fare for a b2b turn in SIN.

I do many MRs per year and understand the ins and outs having maintained top tier status with both AA and DL the past few years.

Usually I do all my travel on BA (I think only 18k EQMs of my 110k last year came from AA metal), crediting to AA.

But since I needed to burn an SWU I figured I'd look out for MRs on AA.

I've done the LAX-HKG more than once on AA and DL for less than $500 RT, including one this year on DL.

I was going to use the extra SWU and some of 2019's on our trip to Thailand later this year but 2 First Class Suites Awards opened up on Singapore Airlines LAX-BKK so I had to jump on that and booked the return flight home on CX J using AA miles.

​​​​​​​