FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare
Old May 20, 2018, 6:12 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
For N-class, which I am booked with on JAL presently, it's 24 hours before the flight. Not on a codeshare.

I was originally told 72-hours. But the website had no option to select a seat when I finally figured out how to log in (it's just a little arcane, which is putting it nicely -- to say nothing of that they have so MANY websites, and none of them are particularly user friendly). I'm not a JAL member, but I booked on their site, initially, for a very low fare.

I finally called and reached a customer service agent today, and I was told it was 24 hours for N class seat reservation -- at least from the U.S.

A little irritated because when I booked the ticket, there was zero indication at all that I wouldn't be able to select a seat... until after I had already entered my credit card information.

Really hoping I at least am seated next to my spouse for the 17 hours of flying from SFO-HAN-HCMC here. Also, I really, really want a window seat. I am a phobic flier and tend to sleep through flights (and I take maybe 10-12 a year).

Also, no idea at all if I will be able to select seats for the return from HAN-HND-NAR-SFO, or if I have to wait again until 24-hours before leaving.
Online check in used to be 72 hours before the flight, but when JAL shited their systems to Amadeus in November it was changed to 24 hours before.

JAL has a fair amount of blocked seats that only are available when online check in opens. So I am certain that you well get a seat with your spouse, and fairly certain you will be able to get a window seat if you are not too worried about being at the back of the cabin, and make sure that you check in on the dot.

(On a good point of order, Haneda is HND, Narita is NRT, Hanoi is HAN. It makes it easier to grasp your routings if you use the correct airport codes, or write it out. Though in this case with only seat selection question, it is not that important but for other questions it might be )