FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - this is great for alaska airlines redemption
Old May 20, 2018, 12:07 pm
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by vincentsjtu
when i tried to cancel a redemption ticket, i found this.

Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value.
  • Pay nothing today. If you exchange your ticket for a new one on or after December 1, 2018, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes. -----my question is: Do i have to redeem the same itinerary? or i can redeem a different one? thank you
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by February 1, 2020.
when you say a redemption ticket are you talking about award travel using miles?

what is the travel date of the ticket you are canceling?

in any case, under the currnet rules, if you cancel an award ticket more than 60 days before departure you can just redeposit the miles to your account and get the taxes refunded, with no fees. if you are less than 60 days away from departure, you can do the same thing, but you'll have to pay $125 at the time you cancel.

generally it is viewed as better to just put the miles back in your account because then you don't have to worry about keeping track of ticket numbers.

and to directly answer your question, no you don't have to fly between the same cities on a canceled ticket. you can rebook it to anything you want, but you would need to pay the fare difference if the new ticket is more expensive. you would probably get a refund if the new ticket was less expensive.