FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: PHX-SIN in Y/Y or Y/PE Combo MR for $753-$1,079
Old May 19, 2018, 11:42 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Of course, it depends on what you like. And what your goals are. Most MR's used to be about the RDM's, as well as EQM's. With EQD's it is better to target the max multiplier of EQD's, i.e a BA PE OSL-LHR-LAX RT for US$688 generates 17,092 EQM's, 2330 EQD's as well s 25,602 RDM's. 12,412 BIS which is shorter than the AA LAX-HKG RT of 14,520 and which only generated 14,520 EQM's, 402 EQD's, and 4422 RDM'S for $506 all in. At 3.4x, it takes only $3,500 total spend to reach the 12,000 EQD's. That's apx 5 of the BA PE trips, and that also generates 85,460 EQM's and 128k RDM's, so just about EXP and a free RT in CX J to just about anywhere. The same amount spent on AA would get you apx 7 LAX-HKG RT's but falls well short of the required EQD's (2,814) for EXP and only apx 32k RDM's. So, unless you can find decent special fares on AA and can get immedite UPG's (the only way I'll book an AA international flight any more,) I'd stick to partner premium fares as they are so low and many of the carriers being better all around than AA (not BA obviously though the EU compensation can be the kicker.) Last year I used the QR $1500 BKK-DOH-LAX fare for one of my trips back to the US, the long way, and loved it.
For example, I found two great deals on AA Vacations packages last year: SFO-HAM, where the flights were ~$475; and SFO-PVG, where the flights were ~$432. The EQDs on both were excellent (I think the PVG one ended up being greater than 3EQD/$1). Of course, there's the added cost of a hotel, but both ended up being great weekend trips.

This year, I took advantage of the AA HKG-GRU F fare from the end of last year, coupled with an AY business NA-HKG ticket (booked in a mix of I and D), to more than requalify for EXP in one trip. [I decided to splurge and make a whole vacation out of it.]

For 2019, I am thinking that a AY r/t in D (which can net a whopping 9200 EQD in one go for ~$3700, but only ~34000 EQM)—coupled with super cheap flights on AA that are solely for EQM—might be the way I go. We'll have to see what my travel needs look like next year.

So bottom line, at least for me: MR's on AA are not totally dead. But I don't disagree that generally premium tickets on partner airlines is a good way to get a good balance of EQDs and EQMs.