FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir merged into SQ, takes up SQ regional routes, gets lie-flat business class
Old May 19, 18, 6:22 pm
lingua101

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by spk307 View Post

Am pretty sure ‘Silk air’ being a thorn for *Alliance customers was not what prompted SQ to ditch SilkAir brand. If they were so concerned about *Alliance customers, they can do more practically useful things like making Krisflyer gold lounge better and getting the online redemption setup faster (half of *alliance redemption options still not available on Krisflyer website).

The main reason is, if half the frequent flyers had the habit of reading annual reports or research reports would have read - could have easily found, to reduce costs. Currently they have 2 marketing budgets, 2 teams working on everything from crew uniform etc which can be merged.

At the same time, they don’t want to dilute the brand by rebranding poor hard products as SQ, which is why they have delayed the rebranding. It has nothing to do with the high speed train.

Tbh, SG is missing a trick by not extending the high speed train to Changi. Imagine if they did that, people flying to and from Malaysia would prefer to board or land at Changi and take the train to KL. That way they can avoid the poor customer service of MH and the crap lounges at KL.
I doubt any ff will really bother to read the financial report. If they are, must be minority, unless they are SQ shareholders.

I don't think High Speed Train is matter for SQ. Seriously with the change of regime, many people is betting that this project may be delayed or even scrapped.

Without the HST, in fact many Malaysian did indeed fly via SIN and you notice sometimes it is cheaper to fly ex KUL compare ex SIN on SQ especially on PE.

Currently there is only 3 SQ flights (1 on weekend) between SIN and KUL, with the rest of flights are MI flight.

This definitely a big hindrance if you are *A and limit the connection US on weekend. Luckily TG does not fly to US.

If now MI is merged into SQ, then as *A you can take any flights. This is also why I am betting KUL will become all narrow body destination probably with increase frequencies

Last edited by lingua101; May 19, 18 at 6:27 pm