FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HR John Wayne Airport (SNA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old May 17, 2018, 11:09 am
365RoadWarrior

I wrapped up a four-day stay today. I stood at the front desk for ten minutes trying to decide whether to extend for two more days, or move to the Hyatt House, at US$8 savings. Some observations/points of self-debate:

- There are a lot of little wrinkles that haven't been "worked out yet.
--- No online or app check in/out.
--- The key readers in the elevators are not active yet; not really a big deal in this "mellow" area, especially since the elevators are right in from of the front desk.
--- There are no earphones/headphones in the gym...because many of the pieces of equipment don't have the television turned on yet.
--- Coffee makers in the rooms are K-Cup contraptions. If you like that, you're good. If you're me...
--- There are two buildings. One has been renovated, the other is in-process. (Man, it's u-g-l-y!) I didn't hear any construction noise, but I wasn't around during the day.
--- The work in the one building seems to be complete and nice (tasteful, modern, clean, open feeling). Nice photos from gadberry, above.
--- Some of the renovation is still a little "buggy". My room had a beautiful, sliding shower door on ball-bearing rollers. Smooth as glass! Unfortunately, the door wasn't hung level, so gravity rolled it open.
--- There isn't much nearby. Shopping is a Staples. Restaurants: a strip mall with a Jimmy John's, a La Salsa, a Japanese place...a little further, an Indian restaurant, a 7-Eleven, an Ike's Love (closes 7:00PM). During the workday, there are more cafes and sandwich places for the local workers.
--- I couldn't get the business center printer to work. It showed "out of paper" even when it wasn't.
--- Breakfast is a large buffet, maybe a wee bit better than your average U.S. Hyatt Regency (IME) . $25 menu price; hotel covered my $32 w/tip without any hassle. The usual stuff (eggs, bacon, bready-things, scones) with a rotating daily bonus dish (fritatta, chorizo+muffin+egg on English muffin) plus a few little niceties - dried cranberries, dried blueberries, various things to sprinkle on eggs or cereal. The rolled oats looked like grits! Coffee refills did arrive. Staff was fine.
-------------- Side note: strict vegetarians won't find much other than melon, dry cereal and maybe a bread. Oily potatoes. This is where the Hyatt House looked "as good as..." I can't comment on non-veg things, but it all looked well-prepared and well-presented.
--- Parking remains free and plentiful.
--- Front desk staff is a mixed-bag; some polished and professional, some maybe still "working on it".
--- I didn't hear anything from the airport, and I was there many hours during which planes were arriving and departing. It does get noisy outside, so the hotel is doing something right here.
--- I did get my room preference

In the end, I decided to stay a few more nights.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 17, 2018 at 4:13 pm