FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:07 am
Athena53

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by merle123
Others have likened the decline and elimination of lounges to declining comforts/services of airlines. IMHO both are manifestations of what I call the Walmartization of America. Generally speaking, Americans want the best of everything free and if free isn't possible, at the lowest possible price. So, if there are 2 Hiltons in the same market where one has a EL and one does not, would many of us pay extra for the one with the EL? No - we'll take it for free but not if we have to pay more for it.
In the case of Hilton, I've seen rates for "upgraded" rooms with access to the Executive Lounge at a higher price and on occasion have taken them up on the offer. Especially when traveling with my husband, it meant savings on breakfast, drinks and evening munchies for two people as well as a sane place to relax and maybe even a nice city view. I/we must not be the only people willing to pay extra for that or Hilton wouldn't offer it.

Still, if the "Executive Lounge" is a cramped, unattended room on a low floor with only chips, coffee and soda on offer, I'll pass.