FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traditional Rooms Available - Hotel Selling "Only for Cash"
Old May 16, 2018, 10:06 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm very positively impressed with how the Plat Concierge supervisor understood the SPG rules and was willing to stand up for the OP in this story, even if it didn't resolve the problem. This is much better than giving all kinds of invented excuses to back up the hotel's actions.

At $249 for a regular room at a property of this description, I wonder whether the hotel was accepting overbookings at 6 pm with the plan to walk guests arriving in the evening with cheaper reservations. I can't believe that the hotel had a bunch of reservations that weren't guaranteed with a credit card and were scheduled to expire at 6 pm as Starwoods usually don't accept reservations that aren't either guaranteed with a credit card or prepaid.
I was impressed with the Supervisor too...she knew the rules well and while friendly, was very no-nonsense.

I haven't called the Platinum Concierge in nearly a year and was surprised with the wait on a Friday night. The first two times, I received agents of varying quality, who put me on hold and then the line was disconnected.

I finally was connected to the Supervisor successfully from.a transfer from the third agent. Neither of the previous two tried to call me back. I let the Supervisor know she was the fourth agent I had spoken to, to attempt to rectify this, and that plus it being late Friday night probably fueled her approach towards the property.

Originally Posted by supatight80
I may be wrong here but if the Hotel has a really high occupancy rate (e.g. 90% up), aren't they paid RACK rate for points reservations which could be higher than 249$?
Yes. Sorry if my OP was long but I put this in there - I asked why they wouldn't want an award because based on the NYC Le Parker Meridien details made public, higher than 95% occupancy means the hotel receives ADR for the room and not the pre-negotiated award redemption rate (which is much lower).

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wow OP you certainly threw everything possible at this property. My main question is was a traditional room available to book on spg.com at any point after you received a call that some rooms became available?
Not that I caught. I checked right at 6 pm. Then about hourly after that, until a little before 10 pm when I arrived in the lobby. Once they confirmed they had rooms but were "holding them back" I reached out to SPG because that just reeked of malfeasance.