FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA Handheld Machines
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2018, 10:35 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Two Bee
"I had an FA check on the itineraries for my two seat mates on a flight today. It was getting closer to the end of boarding and they had not yet arrived -- both of us thought they must be mis-connecting -- but then she checked the device and said "Oh, looks like they're both originating here!". Sure enough, they boarded a couple of minutes later!"

Then how did the FA know the two names in order for the her/him to look in the lil' machine, in order to find out what their flight status was.
I did this for a living for years, and answered tons of calls; the attempt to find out if a certain person was on a particular flight. It is totally verboten to confirm if anyone is on ANY flight except to the above that I mentioned.
I guess we could play games and assume that the inquiry was only to find out if the two guys sitting by him were going to make it, but he may be sitting next to 2 last minute standby's, without telling the FA the names of his bud's, don't-ya-think?

Additional --- In fact it's a rule breaker to confirm who is boarding, flying on, or arriving on ANY airplane --- NAME OR NO NAME even! The FA had no business confirming whether ANYONE in particular was going to be seated on that plane.
The OP probably asked about whoever was sitting in seats A or B without specifying name. I think you are going overboard on this. The OP was wondering if there was a misconnection. Turns out they were originating there. If OP knew names, he probably also would know if they were connecting or originating.

As for rule telling a passenger that another has misconnected so the seat will be open - exactly what rule are they breaking????

The FA doesn’t need names. They can click on seats.

If I ask a FA if the seat next to me will be empty, and the reply is “looks like it - they misconnected”. What personal information has been divulged? The FA should be fired??? Seriously???

UA should stop announcing onboard that a late departure is expected because they are waiting for some late connecting passengers (no names give, but we can see the board)?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 13, 2018 at 10:49 pm