FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shanghai Marriott Marquis City Centre, China [Master Thread]
Old May 13, 2018, 6:02 pm
Nazdoom

While my previous stay was spectacular and I have reccomended the Shanghai City Center FS Marriott many times, my stay this weekend was painful.
​​​​​​
Booked for one night for a 22 hour layover to do some sightseeing. I am platinum and arrived at the hotel at 2pm, to be told no room was available yet as housekeeping needed to flip them still. I was told it can take housekeeping between 1-3 hours to flip a room because of the volume (doubtful). I was asked to wait in the lounge for up to an hour and thatbtheybwoukd mark it priority, which is annoying after a long flight where you want to immediately shower and change, but I agreed. Front desk said he would call the lounge and let them know the situation and that they woukd take care of me and let me know ASAP when I could finish checkin (still had no keys).

Of course nobody communicated to the lounge staff so I had to explain it for them. Then waited 50 minutes without hearing any updates so I asked one of the attendants to look into it for me. She came back saying my room wouldn't be ready until 6pm. Yes, 6pm. I had her confirm several times because of the potential of a language barrier but indeed 6pm for platinum member checkin.

I asked her to bring the duty manager to the lounge and she disappeared and never came back. I never saw her again. 20 minutes later I asked another lounge attendant and she said a room was ready (evidentally nobody felt the need to proactively tell me) and she gave me keys. I asked for help with luggage while I went to the room. Of course the luggage still wasn't moved 20 mimutes later. At that point I went to the lobby.

Front office manager didn't really buy the story ("why not available to 6pm, that's impossible") and said he would investigate. Apparently he watched CCTV footage from the lounge to see who I had talked to and to interview them and we found out the attendants confused me with someone else who wanted to switch rooms - even though I gave my unique last name. To compensate for wasting 3 hours of my limited time he proactively offerred me a bottle of wine from the lounge.

Next day, I requested a 7am wake up call via the app so i could catch my flight. By 730 it had not come, so when I woke up I asked the duty manager and for whatever reason the night shift didnt process my request even though I had the record in my app, which she photographed. I made my flight but shaved another 30 minutes because of their error. Verbal apology for the wake up call issue and a verbal promise to upgrade me if I stay again (because I want to show back up and wait to 9pm for a suite right?).
​​​
Anyways, bad experience. I left the bottle of wine. I wrote the gm since the entire experience felt like nobody cared.