FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status
Old May 13, 2018, 3:41 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I doubt any Marriott member has more than say 20-25% of their LT nights as NON-BiB. What I HAVE said all along is that it could have been much easier/quicker/even cheaper to reach 750 nights and LT Plat w/Marriott than it is to reach 500 nights and LT Plat w/Starwood.
I was not going to post about this again, but someone emailed me this... by the numbers pulled out of nowhere above it would be harder to qualify under MR than SPG. If using the higher number, 25% of stays were non-BIB, someone who stayed at SPG could have LTP in 500 nights while someone who stayed at MAR would only have credit for 625 nights (500 + 125) and would still be short 125 nights for LTP qualification. By your own numbers MR LTP would require more nights and would be harder to get. Including the time requirement someone who was going to stay fewer than 75 nights a year or who was going to stay in cheap hotels which would not trigger enough points to hit 2M in 750 stays would have an easier time qualifying in SPG. Someone who was staying in more expensive properties and/or more than 60 nights a year (again, using the assumption that an additional 25% would come from cc/rollover/birthday/other) would benefit from MAR rules because they can bypass the ten year wait, but someone staying between 50 and 60 nights a year and/or in less expensive properties would find it easier to qualify under the legacy SPG rules.

Hopefully that puts to rest the notion that LT was more difficult to attain under SPG and drops the subject once and for all.