FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 12, 2018, 4:27 pm
OliverB

After doing some reading on the subject (and weighing our time and priorities on the island) I have no intention of going up to the Mauna Kea summit and it sounds like it could be extremely dangerous to do so in a regular 2wd rental anyhow, so that's definitely out. I appreciate all of your advice though!

I do have one question that would be really helpful -- I'm planning to book a dolphin swim with a tour outfitter called Hawaii Oceanic (#1 rated on TripAdvisor). They also offer a nighttime manta ray swim for $100+

Is there any good reason to book this versus just snorkeling ourselves at Mauna Kea Beach?

Initially, I assumed it had to be booked with a licensed tour operator as there was just no way that I could us jumping into the ocean at night alone... but I've since seen a number of videos on YouTube taken from the 'manta lookout' at the Mauna Kea Hotel which show families and young children in the water just floating around with the rays.

I'm wondering if we should do this ourselves as well, or if there's certain advantages of going out with a tour guide?

Can anyone tell me whether an operator like Hawaii Oceanic would take us out to a different and more secluded spot?

I would feel really dumb paying a tour company to take us in the water at Mauna Kea Beach, right outside our own hotel. We'll have our own snorkel sets (I've just bought 2 pairs of Cressi Superocchio goggles and I'll be picking up some fins as well-need to do more research first) so I'd rather not blow $200 USD if we can do it ourselves.

If the nighttime manta snorkel at Mauna Kea is going to feel like Disneyland though, with dozens of people in the water and even more looking down at us, and if an operator like H.O. would take us to a more isolated spot that feels a bit more "wild" or "natural" then perhaps I would consider adding that to our booking.

I'd really appreciate your input with this!

Option #1 = http://www.hawaiioceanic.com/Manta_R...orkel_Kona.php

Option #2 =
//
//

The following video (to my knowledge) is unrelated to Hawaii Oceanic, but I have to admit that it does look a lot more fun than just snorkeling off the shore of Mauna Kea Beach with a dozen families and kids all around:

What do you think; should I add a night tour with H.O. or should we just hop in the water ourselves by the hotel?

Last edited by OliverB; May 12, 2018 at 4:55 pm