FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private options for flexible travel dates and airports? FRG feedback?
Old May 9, 2018, 10:43 pm
Nicoolio
Suspended

Originally Posted by HDNYC09
Hi all - I have been researching some private jet programs, but finding it very overwhelming! Can anyone provide suggestions for the best programs or brokers to use for the requirements below? Also, any general feedback on Farmingdale (FRG) - would another nearby airport be a better option? Thanks so much for your help!

Requirements:
1) Excellent safety record
2) We typically fly with 4 people (immediate family), occasionally with 5 or 6 (parents or nanny)
3) Currently make the same trip 3-4x per year: LGA - MKE (Milwaukee) round trip. I'm flexible on which airport I leave from and which airport we land at, as long as they are in the general area. Farmingdale FRG would be ideal as an alternative to LGA due to its location, and ETB (West Bend) as an alternative to MKE.
4) Often flexible when we fly - "we want to visit sometime in spring", but the actual dates can be flexible and we can fly any day of the week and most times of day, so I would be interested in taking the opposite side of one-way flights between the Milwaukee area and NYC area. Or we might have to visit on a specific weekend, but we don't care which day we fly out or fly back. Could book months in advance or a few days in advance. A few hours in advance would be hard with little kids, but we could probably swing it if a great price popped up.
5) One-way flights - this isn't for business travel where we are flying in an out on the same day. We typically fly out and stay 4-7 days each trip.
6) Don't need a completely private plane - happy to share with other passengers if someone wants to tag along and defer costs and doesn't mind flying with two little kids who will just eat snacks and play on their ipads for the entire trip.
7) Would occasionally want to bring a large dog with us, but that isn't a critical requirement. In-flight wifi would also be helpful, but not required.
Sounds like about 15 occupied hours per year -

- Air Partner has jet cards starting at 10 hours that are fully refundable with guaranteed rates - Light jets are under 5k per hour
- I've seen Magellan has a bunch of 10th year anniversary specials
- Talon Air is based at FRG - not sure what type of programs they have with one-way rates
- The other thought in terms of 'affordable' charter jets is JetSuite -- They have a 50k program
Keep in mind to ask about extra charges such as deicing, Federal Excise Tax, peak day surcharges, and so on - you don't always get all the details until you have the contract in front of you and you're already emotionally invested.

You would have to be lucky to get people going to MKE on the same dates. I know Wheels Up has a sharing app for members but I heard it doesn't get much traction outside of timing it with a big sporting event.